Saturday, September 17, 2011

about me...more or less

I am a senior at Kean University. I should be done by the end of this year. I will not give my exact age--just know that I'm in my early twenties. I'm the oldest of three children and the only person in my immediate family who has dedicated myself entirely to the arts. My major in English/Writing Option. I currently have a Facebook account, but I'm having second thoughts about it. I may cancel it, I'm not sure.

Let me say now that I'm BIG on Shakespeare (hence the blog title) and I've read most of his plays. I enjoy the tragedies more, you know Hamlet, Othello, Antony and Cleopatra, King Lear, etc. I'm planning to see Othello very soon (review to follow). The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is located on the Drew campus. I'm happy to report that Drew University is a brief walk from my house and I find myself going there often to see new productions. I saw a wonderful production of King Lear back in 2008. The actors did a great job!

Othello is described by scholars as "Shakespeare's perfect play" with the plot, setting and characters. I first read Othello back in high school and I've been hooked ever since. My favorite character would have to be Michael Cassio. He goes through a range of emotions like no other character in the play and is the only major character who still lives at the end of the play. I'm pretty sure you can guess what happened to everyone else. That is, if you haven't already read the play. I saw Othello at the County College of Morris years ago. I liked that production---so I'm looking forward to seeing it again at Drew University.

OK...enough about me. On to the more exciting stuff--upcoming book reviews and my review of Othello from the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't used to care for Shakespeare that much back in primary school, but since I took a Shakespeare course back at Middlesex County College and Shakespeare Survey last Spring, he's really grown on me.

    Anyway, I look forward to your book reviews. My schedule lately has prevented me from reading as much as I'd like to so I'm hoping you'll point me in the direction of one or two books I might want to make time for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate Shakespeare back in high school too. Mostly because I didn't really understand the language. Thanks to sparknotes I was able to comprehend what was going on.

    Now that I'm older I find that I appreciate his works a lot more with my favorite being The Tempest. I have a huge book of all his works and read most of them, but still haven't gotten to some of the classics, like a Midsummers Night Dream. So, I am excited to see what you have to say about his works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore Shakespeare. I always thought his works were ahead of his time. I own Shakespeare's anthology but because of school have only gotten half-way through it. For a true Shakespeare lover, a trip to his globe theater in London is a must! I went last summer and it was absolutely breathtaking. I am definitely looking forward to more posts and hearing from someone who loves Shakespeare as much as myself

    ReplyDelete